You Are Reading

OUGD404 - Design Principles - Heirachy & Who are You Task



- Legibility
- Readability eg. kerning tracking, point size..

- How these elements come together in a clever decision. 


- Looking at varying font, weight and scale can make us consider the hierarchy of type. This means we can look at how we can break it, and still control what is read first. 

Hierarchy - Important in newspapers. The first thing seen is the headline. Tabloid's are bought more, as they have larger and red headlines. 
                  - Editorial design - the layout can influence how you look over the page. 

When heirachy is close together, it can become harder to distinguish. 

The heirachy of these are badly composed: 




Studio Task: 


 


Emphasis in weight
Volume in scale
Pace in spacing 

When reading words, it is easier for understand a link than when said out loud. Reading is far more dynamic, and as a graphic designer an understanding is needed on the relationship between reading and volume, pace etc. 
GRAPHO - PHONEMIC RELATIONSHIP

Pulp Fiction - Kinetic Typography


Who's on First - Kinetic Typography

 
Consider the visual representation of the pace, volume and emphasis. 
Visual pace, volume, pitch etc..

3 different ways in which you could articulate "Who are you" - anger, happy etc.. 

We said out loud what was in our head, and the other people in our group then had to come up wit a visual representation of the dynamic they just heard. 


 "Bold"

 "Disgusted" 

"Neutral"


"Impulsive"


TASK: 

Take the principal of a visual dynamic reflecting a verbal dynamic, 

how to you visually represent accents ? 


- Consider weight, scale, and choice of fonts. 


Bring 10 printed out responses, without a name on the sheet. 


Geordie
Welsh
Yorkshire
Irish
Pirate
Essex
Scouse
Jamaican
Russian
Australian



Irish:

I chose a Gaelic font, as I felt this would relating to Ireland's Gaelic routes in typography. I also put emphasis on the "are" in both it's size and thickness of stroke, as I feel that with an Irish accent, this is emphasised, and slightly louder. 


Essex:
In the passed 30 years or so, Essex has been known for it's glamour and 'over the top' attitude. I chose a sparkling font, as I thought it exudes this, but not Hollywood glamour, a kind of cheaper and cheesier side. Similarly to Irish, the Essex accent holds emphasis on the "are". 

Yorkshire:



I struggled with this accent, as I found it hard to picture, and in my mind Yorkshire is split into two areas. Obviously the urban side, with Leeds City Centre and the areas surrounding. But also, the Yorkshire Moors, which I decided to go with. I chose a script font, as I felt it suits the traditional side of Leeds and overall Yorkshire. 

Geordie:

A kind of "up and down" dialect, in my opinion. I chose a typeface which is quite friendly, as I feel the Geordie accent is quite fun and up beat. I chose to make the are small, as I feel it due to the pace of Geordie, it can almost be lost. 

Pirate: 
I was lucky to find this typeface, as the hook question mark is an obvious give away. The font itself looks worn and almost carved into a wood barrel or a boat, which is why it seems so fitting. I also added an extreme emphasis on the "are" as in Pirate accent it is the most obvious word in the sentence. 

French:


Stereotypically, the French are famous for being elegant and classy. I chose a script font as it is reminiscent of the renaissance. I struggled with this for tone and emphasis, as I feel the French accent is quite delicate. 

Jamaica:


Jamaicans are known for being friendly and relaxed people. I chose to use a fun font with patterns, as I felt it's reminiscent of traditional Caribbean patterned clothing. We couldn't use colour for the task, but it would have been helpful here as I would have used lots of vivid colour. 

Australian:

Unlike many of the others, I chose to focus on the tone here as oppose to the choice of typeface. The Australian accent is know to raise at the end of each sentence, so I chose to increase the point size by the end of the question. 

Welsh: 

Similarly to Irish, I chose to look at the countries traditional language, which is why I used an old script font, relating to the Welsh Dragon. 

Comments for this entry

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.