You Are Reading

OUGD504 - Design for Web (10) - Punk Collage

One thing I have gathered from my research as a common theme in Punk, is the use of DIY design. Black and white print cut outs are common, so I came up with the following idea:

A collage background for my website, but composed of imagery cut out of vinyl artwork. 

I gathered a selection of images from different vinyls, and prepared them to be printed and cut out (as seen below). To ensure consistency within the collage, I ensured all images were converted to greyscale, as well as roughly the same brightness / contrast. 




The next step was to cut them out, pand lay them out for the collage:



I then took photos of different cropped sections: 











I feel that these initial experimentations went well,. The bad quality of the print out adds to the rough, DIY effect. However, I had a few issues:

- The images are too 'zoomed in' - I feel I need to print out more album covers to create a large college with more detail. 

- The image quality is low - I used my iPhone to take these photos. If I was to use the image on a high resolution screen, I would have to have a higher quality image. I intend on taking further photos in good lighting using my SLR, or using a scanner at university. The problem with this is being able to arrange the collage blind. 

SLR Images:

I decided to take further images using my SLR, in order to get photos with a higher resolution to work with. You can see these below: 

















































Comments for this entry

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.