You Are Reading

OUGD503 Responsive: Scott Nash - Fashion Branding (Brief 08) - Full Project

I overheard that 3rd year fashion students at Leeds College of Art needed branding for their own business / end of year show, and I got in contact with some of the students. 

I decided to work with Scott Nash, a 3rd year fashion student. He wanted branding done for personal use, as well as things for an end of year show. 

First Meeting With Scott
I wanted to see what exactly Scott's style was like, and the way he works. He took me through his portfolio, showing me what he likes. 

The initial thoughts I concluded were: 

- Architectural 
- Sharp Contours / Shapes
- Subtle hints of colour?
- Personal Expression
- Concealed Identity

What Scott would like designed: 
Business Card, CV, Letterhead, Envelopes, Labels, Lookbook, Hangers, Display

I set Scott a task to come up with some phrases that described his business: 




I then came up with some initial ideas to do with these descriptions. 





I added one more idea, which I quickly mocked up as a business card & letterhead:






Concept:

A very minimal representation of a line of thread. Scott has mentioned he likes very minimal design, and the use of an ambiguous shape (which can be utilised over the entire brand identity) should work well. 




                                                                                                                                                                 

Feedback From Scott

- Scott agreed that the last idea could work well over a variety of platforms. I suggested the use of a horizontal line as a logo on his hangers, which he really liked the idea of. 

- Scott showed me a typeface he has been using and liked, shown below:



'Dolce Vita' Font
I explained to Scott that this typeface (only in caps) could be difficult to use, unless used for just titles. However, I got an idea of what typefaces he likes, and hope to find a compromise font that I could work with. 


                                                                                                                                                                 

Next Steps

As you will see below, I produced a variety of ideas for business cards, as well as a letterhead and invoice. 




                                                                                                                                                                 

Scott's Reply

Unfortunately, this was Scott's reply:

"Hey sorry i didn't see that u had replied my Facebook isn't giving me notifications, and i been so busy, I've had another meeting with my tutor and i think I'm just gonna have to skip on branding, as I'm not sure i even wanna make a business of it after uni and were not remotely getting marked on it, and with the amount I'm spending on my collection i dot wanna spend money on something that isn't being included in overall grade and something i may not even use again after uni, sorry about this but its 100+ that i could use for final fabrics which i actually need right now, feel free to still use it for rue project but I'm not gonna use branding for my collection now, really sorry about this but at end of day i don't have the money to spend if its not gonna benefit me in the end, i hope you understand."


This response was extremely infuriating. Despite the main focus of this brief to be part of the module, I had also arranged payment with him. It seems that Scott doesn't understand that the branding itself will benefit him after graduation, not just his grade. I now intend on speaking to John Watters about approaching him about the payment.

Comments for this entry

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.