You Are Reading

OUGD403 - End Of Module Self Evaluation



BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
04
 Module Code 
OUGD403               


 Module Title
DESIGN SKILLS


END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME
Joe Leadbeater


1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?


Research: I have learnt much more about how to correctly research. My knowledge of design blogs has expanded, and I am much more aware of current designer’s work. I have also learnt how to reference work properly.

Analysis: I have learnt to analyse my work much more critically and become less vague with my opinions. I feel as if I write in a much more informed manor, which in turn, sends my work in the right direction.

Evaluation/ Critique: I have learnt to provide constructive and informed criticism to others, as well as receive feedback from others and respond positively.


2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

Adobe Illustrator Understanding: I have previously never touched Illustrator. I still feel as if I have much more to learn, but I have learnt some basics. Having received tutorials, I now feel confident with producing and tracing images with the pen tool. I am also extremely happy to learn to use the “image trace” tool, as I sometimes feel by using Photoshop that my work isn’t quite crisp enough, even at 300 PPI. Files are also much easier to work with as they are much smaller!

Illustrator has obviously helped in my Illustrator typeface, but also helped when producing my “Love Drunk” work, with both the 3 posters and the envelope.

Print: Having received tutorials in both monoprint and letterpress, I feel much more confidant using different media. I intend to use letterpress much more, as I love the unique quality it can give to your work. Unfortunately I am yet to use it in some final work, but I definitely intend to in the future.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

Research: I think one of my main strengths is that I have learnt to research in the right places. If I am looking at designers work, I am slowly building up a library of resources, from Creative Review to certain designer’s blogs. Obviously as I become more aware of different resources I will find work by more and more designers.

Concepts: This initial part of a project is possibly my favourite part. I love gathering as much information about a certain topic as possible and considering ways in which I can communicate it. I have learnt to come up with many different concepts, as well as analysing them to realise their strengths and weaknesses.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

Visual Development: I think my design sheets are of poor quality. I understand that they to put your ideas down in thumbnails they should be simple ideas and not with much detail, but I struggle to communicate my message visually by hand. To address this problem in the future, I intend to spend more time on them. I also intend to buy a variety of pens to work with, as I have poorly made the choice to use a sharpie pen with most of my ideas. This means ideas have lacked detail, simply because of the thickness of the pen. I intend to buy more coloured pens too, in order to communicate how some of my work can shown in different colours. There is no way I can suddenly become better at drawing, but I’m sure with time and more development this will improve.

Software Knowledge: As previously mentioned, I am new to Illustrator. I am keen to learn much more about how to use the programme, and in the future intend to use the programme whenever possible. I have been lucky enough to be given a Wacom tablet too, which so far I have not been able to use. IN my spare time I hope to learn to design on it. I also have no knowledge of any of the other programmes on the Adobe suite (apart from relative confidence on Photoshop). I intend to buy InDesign when needed, and learn to use that for editorial work.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

-       Blog everything on time. I have been very unpredictable with how I have blogged. Sometimes I will blog everything straight away, and sometimes I will leave up to a week or two before I upload the work. I think it is extremely important to keep on top of things, as the longer work is left, the harder it is to remember what you intended to say about it. One of the worst feelings is when you have multiple things to blog, and not know where to start! I expect to receive far less stress, and retain an overall happiness by the module deadline.
-       Much more development. As my design sheets have lacked detail, I have lacked confidence in producing them. I need to rise above this, and create as many detailed visual responses as possible. I feel my work is normally conceptually strong, but in the future I hope to spend more time considering expressing it with a visual outcome.
-       More risks. I sometimes feel as if my work can be too safe. I stay to the media I am used to. Next time I hope to experiment with different methods of production, as well as trying out different stock.
-       Use a selection of different typefaces. I use common gothic typeface’s way too much. Obviously sometimes they have a perfect usage, but I feel like I should consider much more type before deciding on something so simple, and intend to explore more type for the next module assessment.
-       Present my work on my blog in a clear manor. Next time, I hope to have learnt to use ISSUU, in order to make my blog posts easier to read, instead of constant scrolling down with photos. (This can be seen with my posts that include a typeface I have created, as I tend to post each individual photo of each letter in order to see all the detail)




6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance



X

Punctuality




X
Motivation



X

Commitment



X

Quantity of work produced



X

Quality of work produced


X


Contribution to the group




X
The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.


Comments for this entry

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.