You Are Reading

OUGD403 - Studio Brief 3 - Alphabet Soup - Illustrator



-Changes To Make-

Problems I Encountered Previously With Typeface:

1. The patterns I produced were varied in several ways:
- The letters I used for each pattern were at different sizes. This meant they did not have any consistency.  
- Some of the letters were stretched in either height or width, meaning that some appeared bolder, and some appeared lighter. 
- A few of the patterns simply did not work. They took up too much space or did not look like a pattern. 

2.  The typeface I used was too confusing. Despite the fact that it took up lots of space, and gave the pattern a large surface area, it took away from the clarity of letters. "Doughboy" seems to only work in block colours. 


-Changes I intend To Make:
- Ensure the letters are all the same size, through the use of rulers and a grid. This can be said the same for each letter used in the patterns.  

- Ensure that the letters within the pattern are not stretched, so that all the patterns have the same weight. 

- Make sure the patterns are dense enough to be used as clipping masks. 

- Experiment with the use of different typeface's to use as a clipping mask. I need to find one that strikes the balance between exposing lots of the pattern, and creating readable letters. 

Below: Doughboy. 


As you can see, "C" is much bolder than "H". This is due to the both the different pattern I used for H, and the fact that the C's I used in the pattern are much larger. I also think C is confusing, and the pattern should be much more dense. 




Difficult to see on a small scale, but the areas I have highligted in green show that the spacing between each twin of A's are different. I will spend much more time ensuring these are equal when re - designing the pattern. 















Below: The production of the pattern for "T". As you can see, I have added guides to make sure the positioning of the patterns are correct. I have also temporarily adjusted the opacity  in order to double check that the shapes are in the correct position. 


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
-Finished Patterns-

(click to enlarge)


I put all the patterns into a grid, in order to work with when I have decided which typeface to use.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

-Deciding On a Pre - Existing Typeface-

-Bemio-

 I chose to not use this typeface, as I thought it's curves did not suit the rigid structure of my patterns. 

-Impact-




Once again, I felt as if this typeface has too many curves to use with my pattern. 

-Sullivan-


I think this typeface works really well with the pattern, in particular  the bevelled font.  The structure of it is rigid, and the highlighting on it seems to give a "pop up" effect, which emphasises further the use of the word "Pop". 



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

-Finished Letters-





























I inserted the letters into the same grid as I used for the patterns, as shown below:




As the brief instructed, I had a choice to use any CMYK colour: 



I chose to go with Cyan, as I feel it has connotations of liquid or water, which has its associations with the word "Pop". 










Comments for this entry

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.