You Are Reading

OUGD405 - Research, Collect, Communicate: PRODUCT






The most obvious direction to move my project towards would be tourism. All my facts obviously relate to the Empire State Building, so the promotion of it should come with it.

One facts I found out was:

The Empire State Building is currently undergoing a $550 million renovation, with $120 million being spent on making it more energy efficient.

Obviously a tremendous amount of money is going towards the Empire State Building’s renovation, so the building needs as many visitors as possible in order to aid the process.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Method of Delivery

I am yet to decide which method of delivery I intend to use, but have chosen my audience, and where the promotion would take place:

Where the audience would find the information:

Flights to a New York Airport: 

I have chosen to target flights to JFK from the UK, as it is the largest airport in New York, therefore most flights to New York land there. 

Obviously there are hundred of flights a day to JFK airport, so I have decided to focus on just one airline that could advertise the Empire State Building in some way, this being American Airlines. 

Why American Airlines?

- The airlines that would most likely want to promote an American tourist location would obviously be American. So if I was to propose my promotional publication in their flights, they are much more likely to say yes than for example, EasyJet or RyanAir.

- They are subsidiary of the AMR Corporation,  who also own American Eagle Airlines, and Executive airlines. These are both mainland airlines, meaning they only fly to places within the US. However, I've found that only 20% of Americans own Passports, meaning that they like to spend a lot of their holidays within the country they know and love. 

This means that a lot of Americans must fly to New York as tourists in their own country, so this could be a wider audience. However, I think for now I will focus on American Airlines for simplicity. If this publication proved success,  then it could be made more widespread to the other airlines within the AMR Corporation. 

American Airline Flights: 

I looked on the American Airlines website, and found that from England, you can get flights from both Heathrow and Manchester airports to JFK:



I also checked the amount of flights to JFK from each airport, as if there wasn't many, then the promotion of the Empire State through flights would be pointless:

Heathrow:


From Heathrow, there were 16 flights on the 14th of January that will fly directly from Heathrow to JFK. With a stop, there were 28 flights to JFK. 

Manchester: 



From Manchester Airport, there was only 1 flight on the 14th of January that will fly directly from Heathrow to JFK. With a stop, there were 16 flights to JFK.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Development of Target Audience:

Having looked at flights with American Airlines, I have decided to specifically target the flights from Heathrow Airport to JFK. 

Targeting the audience: Each passenger would receive a publication to do with the promotion of the Empire State Building in the seat pocket in front of them:


Each passenger seat on the flight would hold a publication containing my pointless facts about the Empire State Building, which also promotes going to the Empire State Building, and how to get to it. 



Types of Flights:

Commercial Flights: American Airlines provide a variety of different types of flights, but I intent to focus just on commercial flights, specifically Economy flights. I feel as if placing the publication on a Business Class flight, or in a Business Class area could be pointless, as the flights are for business, therefore the people sitting in the seats may not have time to visit the Empire State Building. 

Commercial Planes:


Specific Plane:

From looking at the above, I've found that that the flights that have the most Economy seats are in the Boeing 777. There are 194 "Main Cabin" (Economy seats), and only 37 Business class seats, with no First class seats. 



Estimation on how many would need to be manufactured for usage each day: 

Average Number of flights from Heathrow  to JFK (composed from the next week's worth of flights): 15

Number of "Main Cabin Seats" in a Boeing 777 Flight: 194

Estimation of Total Number of Products: 194 x 15 = 2910 (per day).

Obviously this is a tremendous amount to produce, so if it was put to usage, I would start off with out only flight a day. 

This has also affected my method of production. I have chosen to stick to just digital print, as I feel processes such as screen printing would be too time consuming with such a large manufacturing load.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Initial Ideas - Games


I have found from passed experience, on long airplane journeys, I get bored easily. I tend to end up listening to my music, getting bored of it, then reading every magazine that is in the chair in front of me.

The reason I have chosen "product and packaging", is so that I can produce something that cures the boredom of a long flight.

 A publication would be engaging, but I can imagine this getting boring quickly. I think by producing some form of "game", the flyer can spend 30 minutes learning about the Empire State Building, and hopefully by the time they have landed, want to go and visit it, and be informed enough on how to get there and every other detail they would like to know.

Ideas: 

Design Sheet:



Deck of cards - I could produce a deck of cards with the normal suits (Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs, Spades) on one side, and on the other (which is normally just a background) could consist of facts. 

Puzzle - A puzzle of the Empire State Building. One problem is that i'm not sure how I could include the facts, which were the majority and most interesting part of my research.

Colouring in Book - A book which holds both the pointless facts I have created, and also a colouring in section for little children, as illustrations to the facts. One problem with this idea could be that the book looks extremely plain. The audience for it is also extremely small. 

Board Game - King Kong Snakes and Ladders - A small board game which revolves around a classic game. You would play as King Kong, climbing the Empire State Building, with downfalls on certain floors of the building. 

Board Game - Catch King Kong - One player is King Kong, climbing the Empire State Building, being able to move 1 space at a time (a designated number of floors = one space). The second player is a Police Helicopter. They can move 2 spaces at a time, but only start once King Kong has crossed half the board. The only way of moving is through the process of answering the pointless questions correctly. The person playing as King Kong wins by reaching the top of the Empire State Building, whilst the the person who plays the Police Helicopter has to reach King Kong to defeat him. 

Selected Idea: "Catch King Kong" Board Game - Reasons Why I Have Chosen This Idea

For research into Board Games, check my Design Context blog post HERE. 

Update on Rules: 

-There are still two players. One will play as King Kong climbing the Empire State Building, moving one square for each question they get right. 

The second player will play as a American Airlines Plane, due to the game being played on an American Airlines flight. They also move one square at a time. 

There will be two sets of cards with questions on:

The set to be read to King Kong will be composed of my facts, meaning they will be virtually impossible to get right, unless guessed. For this reason, I have decided they will be multiple choice. A second advantage is that King Kong will start half way up the board, meaning they have half the distance to travel. This makes sense, as if one was to chase after King Kong, he would have already started climbing the building. 

The set of cards to be read to the American Airlines plane are much easier. They will be composed of just general questions about New York, such as "what colour are New York cabs". The idea is that they are much simpler, but this player has much further to move up the board. 

King Kong wins by reaching the last square, at the top of the Empire State Building. The American Airlines Plane wins by catching up and landing on the same square as King Kong. 


Audience: I think this will appeal to a wide audience. Whatever age of the player, it should be enjoyable. The youngest players would be children from the age of 4. They may not understand the questions and answers whilst playing as King Kong, but may get questions right when playing as the American Airlines Plane, as they will extremely simple. The game will be intended to be played WITH A PARENT, meaning the parent can help them play. It will teach the children about numbers and statistics, even if they feel as if it too complicated to understand. 

Unfortunately, the game can't really be played on your own, since there are two players. However, most people who fly on a holiday trip will be with somebody else. There is also the fact that people who fly on their own are less likely to go sight seeing than say, a family, and are more likely to be flying strictly for business. Despite this, the cards still hold interesting facts about New York and the Empire State Building, which may even be fun to read when not in a game context. 

Purpose: The purpose is to educate and to occupy boredom. I feel as if the game will educate, since the only way to progress in it involves reading the facts. I also think it will occupy boredom well, as it's not often that you are given a free game whilst in a flight, so the novelty of it in itself should make it interesting. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 


Design Development

Board


I created this vector image to work with. I feel that this will be successful to work with, as it holds a much needed simplicity for a board game, but also enough detail to make it obvious that it is an illustration of the iconic building. At this point I was unsure about colours, so below are experimentations with both background and the board itself. 

I struggled to make the rectangles on the board fit well with the building, without making it look like a strange Empire State Building Jumper. 


The idea I chose to work with is the bottom right gradient thumbnail. I feel that the colours of the building work well with the gradient. The use of the gradient also seems clear enough to understand, but not too bold that it looks strange against the backdrop of the building.

I felt as it the top of the building's squares were not clear enough, due to them being too light in colour and not enough contrast. Below I have experimented further with gradient and the squares:

The gradient option I have chosen to work with is the last. I feel when the light is spreading from the centre, the rectangles blend in well with the rest of the building, but not too much that they aren't visible enough (like the third idea). 

The symmetry of it also works well with the rest of the building. 

I then chose to add type and an area for the cards:
ISSUU LINK TO DOCUMENT



Decisions when choosing a font:

Something Art Deco - The Empire State Building is a classic iconic piece of Art Deco architecture, and it would be good if I could use a font to match the era. 
A playful font - The game is designed to be played by a huge range of ages, and so it should be made appealing to a younger audience. 
A font that works well as both bodytext and as a header - I have included details on how to play the game, which need to be both readable and legable. 

The typeface I chose to work with was Bemio, and I used Bemio Bold, and Bemio Italic.  The typeface  doesn't hold both Art Deco and child friendly characteristics, but I couldn't find any font that did. I find that is is playful, but not too much that the overall
aesthetic appears cheap. It also has enough structure for it to work as a body type too. 

Adjustment of background colour: 

Whilst working on this project, I found that American Airlines have gone through a rebranding. They have slightly modified the colours that they use, as shown below on their website:





I felt that since they have made a huge modification to their brand, that my product should fit it too. The design itself is minimal, which wouldn't be appealing to a young audience when playing a game. It works well to achieve a high end aesthetic, but seems irrelevant for a board game.  

Obviously I couldn't find much usage for red, but I experimented with the usage of their blue as the background to my board game:



Usage:


 This is my initial use of both colours and a gradient. The background colours appeared to be too rich in comparison to the Empire State Building. 



This seems to work much better, and seems much more "sky like". 

Final Board



This is my final design. I added arrows to show where each player should start, making the game easier to play. The colours still appear slightly too rich, so I intend to add a subtle overlay texture, to flatten it slightly. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Playing Pieces

These pieces are intended to be small, roughly 2 - 3 centimetres. This means that they need to be bold and simple, so they can still be visible at the correct size.  

Plane

My design influences were a combination of old propeller fashioned planes (as seen in King Kong), and the simplicity of toy planes.

King Kong Posters:




It's clear that old fashioned planes are used in both the classic and most recent King Kong film, since the story is set in 1933. 

1930's Planes:



Toy Planes:





I intend to mimic the simplicity of the shape of these planes, but obviously add colour and much more detail. 

Plane Variations:

I produced 16 variations of planes. I found that my initial shape worked well, which is why there aren't any variations of the model, just differences in details such as the wheels, colour and decoration of the plane. 



ISSUU LINK TO DOCUMENT

Chosen Design


The reason I have chosen this idea is that I find the design simple and clear enough at a small scale. I also based the details on the design of their Boeing 777, the plane that my audience would be flying on (see below). 



King Kong

Once again, the design was to be kept simple, due to it only being 2 - 3 cm in size. For this reason, I chose to just design KIng Kong's head as a player, as I feel the whole body wouldn't work at a small scale. Without doubt, the detail wouldn't be clear enough. 


I started off with an initial sketch that I then traced on Illustrator. 

Initial Sketch:


Outlined drawing with marker pen:


Digital Outline:

Final Outcome:




There was very little variations on this piece, and I felt that they didn't really matter too much. I feel the design fits well with the other piece, and the colours aren't too close in hue to that of the board game, meaning it will be easy to see. 

Cards

I wanted to the cards to match the design of the Empire State Building, in both the style and colour. 

I felt inspired by the rich and detailed design of the interior of the Empire State Building. I intend to use multiple similar tones of brown and yellow with intricate detail, similar to the lift. 



I also intend to use similar earthy tones to the colours found on the floor in certain areas of the  Empire State Building. 

 


Shape For Cards

I intend that the cards are to be square, so I think a spiral or a pattern involving circles would work well. 

I chose this design, as I found it to seem quite "quiz like"

I also wanted to produce something quite challenging, as I am new to using Illustrator, which I have intended to design everything for the project on. 




Colour Scheme:

I chose three different colours for the tiled pattern, for each set. I made sure that they were similar colours to the interior of the Empire State Building, and I also ensured that they matched the colours of the board game:

I started off with a centre colour for each card, based on the board game. I then found colours each side of this, and created a gradient for each, where the mid point was the actual colour. 

Lighter Pattern Colour Scheme:


Darker Pattern Colour Scheme:


I used these gradients as swatches to fill in the shapes. The process was tedious, but I am happy with the effect it gives. 



Finished Back's of Cards:



The size of the cards will be 7.5mm by 7.5mm. I feel as if these patterns are far too detailed for the size, and the gradient effect adds very little. 

For this reason, I experimented with different crops, in order to find the pattern that works best at the given scale:






Final Back of Cards:



Front of Cards:

Each card needed to contain the information about who the card was to be read to, a question, and a multiple choice system involving the correct answer being made obvious. 

Here are my ideas involving the space to be filled in with this information, as well as the final cards.






I've kept them simple and easy to understand. The colour of the type comes from the initial colours I worked with before making the swatch gradients. 

Questions

The questions to read to the Pilot are easier, and are composed of questions relating to New York City in general. Obviously the intention of the board game is to promote visiting the Empire State Building, which is what the questions on the King Kong cards do. Most of the questions on the Pilot's cards relate to places of tourism, such as Central Park, Staten Island, Madison Square Garden and the State of Liberty. 

I produced 25 questions for each set, meaning 50 cards in total. This is so that the game could be played more than once without repetition of questions. 

Examples of Questions: 

Questions for the Pilot:


1.     What is New York City also known as?

A.     The Big Cheese
B.     The Big Apple
C.     The Big Lady
D.    The Big Peach

2.     What Colour are New York Cabs?

A.     Yellow
B.     Orange
C.     Red
D.    Grey

3.     How many Boroughs does New York have?

A.     2
B.     4
C.     5
D.    12

4.     What doesn’t New York ever do?

A.     Wake
B.     Snore
C.     Sleep
D.    Cheat

5.     What colour is the State of Liberty?

A.     Green
B.     Blue
C.     Gold
D.    Silver

6.     How many people live in New York?

A.     Half a Million
B.     2 Million
C.     8 Million
D.    18 Million

7.     What are the two Baseball teams in New York?

A.     The Knicks and The Saviours
B.     The Jets and The Yankees
C.     The Mets and The Yankees
D.    The News and The Yorks

8.     What is the biggest Basketball team in New York?

A.     The Yankees
B.     The Knicks
C.     The Globetrotters
D.    The Superstars

9.     What is the name of the famous park in New York?

A.     Hyde Park
B.     Upper East Park
C.     Central Park
D.    Lower West Park

10.  What famous Sitcom is set in New York?

A.     Entourage
B.     The Simpsons
C.     My Name is Earl
D.    Friends

11. If a New Yorker asked you “Jeet?”, what does it mean?

A.     Did you cheat?
B.     Did you eat?
C.     Is your name “Jeet”?
D.    What are you looking at?

12. What is a typical New York breakfast?

A.     Ham and Melon
B.     A Full English Breakfast
C.     Bacon and Waffles
D.    Coffee and a Bagel

13. What is the tallest complete building in New York?

A.     The Empire State Building
B.     The New York Times Building
C.     The Crysler Building
D.    Madison Square Garden

14. What is Madison Square Garden?

A.     A Park
B.     A Garden
C.     A Stadium
D.    A Government Building


15. Where is New York geographically in the United States?

A.     North West
B.     North East
C.     South West
D.    South East


Questions for King Kong:

These are a similar format, and are composed of facts I have made up myself. The maths and working out can be found here on my Design Context Blog. 

The Facts:

1. The Empire State Building is 1927 Coke Bottles in height.

2. The Empire State Building is over 100 times the height of a Double Decker Bus!

3. If Obama stood on his own shoulders 240 times, he would be taller than the Empire State Building!

4. If the Empire State Building wore a belt, it's size would be 25,102 inches!

5. If he stayed the same speed, it would take Usain Bolt 61 seconds to run round the Empire State Building!

6. The Empire State Building is 206 times fatter than the worlds fattest man! 

7. You could fit a "Novelty Empire State Building Puzzle" inside the actual Empire State Building 148 million times!


8. If you were to "drink" the volume of the Empire State Building in tea, you would have to drink over 50 million cups.

9. The weight of the Empire State Building is roughly the same as 2 Billion Apples. Now that's a big apple!

10. The Empire State Building weight around the same as 5000 tanks!

11. The Empire State Building weights the same as 65,317 Elephants!

12. The Empire State Building gets struct by lightening on average of 23 times a year. This generates enough power to charge over 15 billion  AA batteries. 

13. For the cost of building the Empire State Building, you could by 84 Rolls Royce Phantoms, with enough change to buy leather seats for all of them. 

14. The cost of building the Empire State Building is just a third of the price of "The Scream" by Edvard Munch. 

15. For the same price as building the Empire State Building, you could book out the whole of the 02 Arena and see One Direction 37 times! 

16. You could watch every episode of Friends 80 thousand times for the time it took to build the Empire State Building. 

17. It would take you the same time to walk around the world 843 times as to build the Empire State Building. (If you never stop!) 

18. If a Skydiver jumped off the Empire State Building, it would take 8 seconds to hit the ground. 

19. It takes a raindrop 49 seconds to hit the ground from the height of the Empire State Building!

20. There are 44 times as many windows in the Empire State Building than the White House. 

21. 203 Boeing 777's have the same number of windows as the Empire State Building. 

22. There are double as many windows in the Empire State Building than the Houses of Parliament.

23. Roughly the same number of people fly from Heathrow to JFK each day as the number of people working on the Empire State Building at any given time. 

24. Roughly 10 times the amount of people flock to the Empire State Building each day than the number of workers that built it.

25. More people visit the Empire State Building each day than the population of Monaco and the Vatican put together. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Stock and Print

Stock:  

Board Game - I intend to print this on thin paper, and then spray mount it into mount board. I feel this will give the board a much needed structure. 

Playing Pieces - These will also be printed on thin paper, and then spray mounted onto mount board. This is because the thicker the pieces, the easier they will be to move. 

Cards - These will be printed on card, single sided, and stuck together. This is due to the fact that I intend to print all the cards on an A1 sheet, which cannot be printed double sided. They will also hold a rigid structure, which will look much more professional. 

I intended to score a fold in my board game, in order to make it fold in half into a square. However, I found that due to the thickness and properties of mount board, the crease left was ugly. 

I chose to print the board in two separate squares, and add holes with treasury tags:



Print:

One A1 sheet of thin paper was used to print the Board Game, front and back. One A1 sheet took up the back of the cards, and another the front.  



It helped that all the cards were aligned using guides, as I could cut columns of cards up at a time. 



The most time consuming process was sticking 100 cards together. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Finished Product





On the back of the board game, I added relevant information about how to get to the Empire State Building, with a map, and transport links through Subway and Bus. 

I also informed the viewer about the various prices and types of tickets they can buy. 

Feedback/ Evaluation

For feedback and my evaluation of the project, please see a post on my PPP blog here. 






Comments for this entry

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.