You Are Reading

OUGD504 - Design For Print (30) - Publication Issues

I realised I had a few issues to address with my publication(s), which I wanted to address:

- The size of the document I have been working with - For the book I intend on sending off to be printed, I have been working at A4 size. This seems large and impractical. 

- Images appearing pixelated - When working on InDesign, some of my full bleed images appear slightly pixelated. I intend on printing a spread out, and seeing how it works when printed. 

- Binding - I know exactly the form of binding I want to use, but not sure of where to purchase materials / how to produce it. 

Document Sizing




As you can see, I printed a full bleed page out, to see how the images would look. I was in luck with the images, as they didn't seem to look pixelated. However, I felt the document was too large. I printed the same page again, and cropped it using a guillotine to a size which felt more ergonomic. This was roughly 3cm off each edge, a dramatic different. 

Change of document size: One issue I have is that I have produced 60 pages of the publication at A4 size, which would be very time consuming to change manually. I wanted to know if there was a way of exporting the document size to something smaller, so I decided to consult some of my tutors. 


Conversation with Simon

I spoke to Simon about two things: the binding & the document sizing. 

Simon explained the form of binding further (with an unexplainable sketch!), and told me that I can achieve this in Vernon Street. I intend on speaking to someone at Vernon Street to confirm this.



He explained that notches are create within the pages, which are filled with an adhesive, before the tape is applied. This will reinforce the pages, stopping them from falling out easily. 

In terms of document sizing, Simon was unsure on how I could resize PDFs. He recommended that I speak to Mike in IT.

Conversation With Mike

I went up to IT and spoke to Mike briefly about document sizing. He said he was sure that there was a way of changing an existing document size using either InDesign or Adobe Acrobat Pro. 

PUT EMAIL IN HERE

Comments for this entry

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.