You Are Reading

OUGD504 - Design For Print (32) - Producing the Reference Book

As previously mentioned, I am producing a 'Reference Book', to go along side my 'Process & Finishing Methods' Book. 

Having produced over a 100 prints, I thought it would be best to sort out which prints to use, and which ones to discard (but still show in submission). I produced many doubles of prints, in order to include the best within the reference book. 


Sorting out the prints:




Mountboard / Binding

I was influenced by the use of some sort of tape - binding, as used by Craig Oldham in his 'Democratic Lecture' book. (Please see my research post on Design Context). I also got the idea to use mount board to separate each section, making the book easily navigable. 

I sorted out each print into sections of the following:

1. Normal Acrylic Ink (Red & White are examples shown)
2. Neon Ink
3. Metallic Powder + Ink
4. Spot Varnish
5. Foiling / Flocking
6. Phosphorescent Ink
7. Thermochromatic Ink
8. Scratch Card Finishing

9/10 Front & Back Cover

As you can see, I intend on screen printing onto 10 pieces of A4 mount board, something I feel is easy to work with. 

Creating Each Page

In order to hold consistency with my 'Process & Finishing' book, I aimed to keep quite a few things the same. The same typeface, at the same point sizes, margin, the same 4 x 4 modular grid, and the same baseline grid. 


You can see the use of the same modular grid below:




I also used the same grid to section the reference book. With the 'Process & Finishing' book, I put the name of each chapter at the top of the page, with the body copy centred within the margin. This can be seen below:


I replicated this within my reference book pages:


The Finished Page Designs:



Preparing For Print

Originally, I intended on printing red onto a white mount board, leaving a negative for the design to fit. 

The preparation of this can be seen below:



However, I decided a much clearer print would be achieved if I could print white onto a pre - existing red mount board. 

Unfortunately, this is not sold in University, so I went to Dinsdales in Headingley, to see their variety of stock for mount board: 

Their selection:


Chosen Stock:


Unfortunately, the pictures show the colours badly. I aim to use a bold red mount board for front and back covers, with a lighter red used for the separators. 

Due to now working with a red stock, my images prepared to screen print were now the other way around. 

An example of a 'before and after', preparing for print. I will now use a white ink to screen print each page onto the red stock: 



The finalised pages, ready to be digitally printed, then exposed and screen printed: 


Comments for this entry

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.