You Are Reading

OUGD505: Studio Brief 3 - Designing The Poster

Concept 
After watching the film, there were two main things I wanted to include:

- The control Nurse Ratched has over the patients. Many of the patients in the hospital were volunteers, yet were scared to leave because of the nurse. She was also entirely to blame when Billy (who was only suffering from a stutter) killed himself. She was also the cause of his stutter.

From watching the film, I felt a huge amount of hatred towards her. The actress who played Nurse Ratched won multiple awards for her role, yet Jack Nicholson is featured on almost every poster I had found to do with the film. I feel that Louise Fletched deserves much more recognition, which is why I aim to put her on my poster. 

- The Chief, who is supposed to be deaf and dumb, can actually speak and hear. He chooses to lie so he doesn't have to be involved with many things in the hospital. One of the only times he speaks, he says that whenever there is a staff meeting, a green mist appears from under the door. This mist represents the spread of negativity the staff bring to the hospital. I aim to include this through the use of green spray paint. 

I aim to use red as my main colour. This can represent love, hate, anger, etc. Essentially these extreme emotions are those felt by the hospital inmates constantly. 

                                                                                                                                                   

I began experimenting with a monotone image of Nurse Ratched, which I added a half tone effect to. I aim to design the entire poster in red, with my second colour being green spray paint. 









I then experimented with the use of a Wacom tablet and a variety of dry brushes, to make the type more psychologically disturbing. 



                                                                                                                                                  

Variations

Below are the variations I came up with, with my final design being last. 





                                                                                                                                                  

Final Design

Below are some mockups of the poster, with and without the spray paint. Obviously the physical poster will look different, but I wanted to illustrate how it could look. 


Comments for this entry

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.